Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Asking the Correct Questions


The Food Entrepreneur

On Sunday I demo-ed at the Food Front in the Hillsdale shopping center. I set up my table and arrange the little sample cups and then wait for shoppers to come by. I never think that my purpose is to sell, but more that I am there to educate the consumer about the River Wave Foods product line. Inevitably I meet the most interesting people. I rate the traffic as medium/slow, which is nice because I then have the opportunity to talk with people. I met a wonderful couple and we engaged in conversation about the serendipitous way in which a life or a business can unfold. They recount the story of how after receiving 3 job offers in a week that would entail moving to either London, Amsterdam or Brussels they logically assessed the pros and cons that each city could offer. Pleased with their decision making process they casually ask their 4 year old son where he would like to live. Their son asks "Who has the most toys?" They look at one another and answer their son's query, " Well I guess that would be London". And London it was, a decision made 30 years ago that yielded experiences and friendships of a lifetime.